We help resolve the important issues affecting your family.
When Your Family Is Changing
Changes in family structure can be difficult. Whether you are seeking a divorce, pursuing child custody, seeking or paying child support, or planning to adopt a stepchild, there are a number of emotional and legal forces that come into play. An experienced family law attorney can help ease the strain of this challenging time.
At ML Brooks Law Office, we offer compassionate, objective and knowledgeable family law services to individuals and families. Understanding that family law matters are intensely personal, we strive to guide clients through often trying times and move forward into the future.
We at ML Brooks Law Office, are experienced in handling a range of family law cases, including:
- Divorce — We work to resolve these cases amicably when possible, drafting uncontested divorce documents in a cost-effective manner. We also aggressively represent clients in contested divorce cases. We will fight for fair settlements or awards on your behalf. We will draft the necessary documents to transfer real estate and interests in retirement accounts and pensions.
- Child custody & visitation — Whether you are going through a divorce or are an unmarried parent seeking to enforce your rights, we can help you fight for custody and/or visitation. We understand the factors considered by the courts and evaluators, and can effectively assist you in demonstrating the custody and parenting time arrangement best for your child.
- Child support – Our firm works with parents to develop and enforce child support payment schedules.
- Spousal support – Our firm works with partners to develop and enforce spousal support payment schedules.
- Post-Decree Motions –
- Paternity — Our firm can help you determine paternity, fight for custody and appropriate parenting schedules, and visitation.
- Orders for protection – We represent individuals who are seeking restraining orders, as well as defending people who have been accused of domestic violence.
Regardless of your specific family law matter, we will work hard to reach a fair resolution as quickly and cost-effectively as possible.
Guiding You Through Change
If you are facing a difficult family law issue, we can help. Contact us online or call our office at 612-751-3030. We offer free initial consultations for family law cases.
Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request.
Frequently asked questions
1. What do I have to show to get a change in the current custody arrangement?
That a change in circumstances has occurred and that modification is in the best interests of the child, or that there has been endangerment.
2. When does a child support judgment expire?
20 years after its entry, although it can be renewed for another 20 years.
3. What are the different kinds of monthly child support?
Regular cash payments, child care support, medical support and unreimbursed medical bills.